Monday, March 29, 2010

Chocolate Crosses for Easter?!

     Clergy have long struggled with the secularization of Easter. Many priests feel that things like the Easter egg hunt and someone in a bunny costume takes away from the true message of Easter: the resurrection of Jesus. Well, maybe, but like a true Anglican, I have always fallen on the rather wishy-washy side. I guess it could vaguely be described as the “Oh-for-goodness-sakes-the-kids-and-parents-love-the-Easter-egg-hunt-and-maybe-it’ll-get-them-in-church” side.

     I have, however, recently realized even I, progressive and liberal as they come, have my limits. I was introduced to my boundaries courtesy of the Hershey Chocolate Company and my local grocery store. In a no doubt well-intentioned move to answer more conservative Christian concerns and infuse a little religion into the secular, Hershey’s has come out with the chocolate Easter cross (in white or milk chocolate). So instead of biting off those chocolate bunny ears, children can now munch on a piece of Jesus’ cross. Am I the only one kind of creeped out by this?

8 comments:

  1. Hm.. Jesus doesn't seem to be on those crosses.
    And remembering his dying and resurrection is what we all do every time we nibble a bit at the Eucharist.
    OK, this is nibbling without meaning, but that's probably the most I would accuse it of.
    When we accepted crosses as pieces of jewellery rather than the most shocking and scandalous symbols of the depth of our faith, we forfeited the right to moral outrage and to talk of cheapening anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2.      I'm not aware I forfeited any rights, especially when it comes to commercial enterprises using Christianity in inappropriate ways. It doesn't take much analysis to see the vast gulf between partaking of the Eucharist and eating a chocolate cross. So... chocolate Jesuses next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick
    Maybe I'd understand you better if you explained just what disgusts you so much about the chocolate crosses.

    ReplyDelete
  4.      I didn't use the word "disgust" or "moral outrage". I just find it a little creepy – the juxtaposition of the holy and the secular in a grocery store product for children. Maybe it's just tacky like the "Jesus Saves" Goose Leg Bands or the "Jesus Loves Me" Kazoos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I'm desensitised because of the hot cross buns we have in the shops here from Christmas until Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6.      Comments are welcome here, but I would encourage us to treat one another respectfully and avoid incendiary or ad hominim comments.

         The chocolate cross posting was supposed to be a lighthearted poking of fun at commercialization, not turn into a defense of the one true faith. Yikes. Peace, y'all.

    ReplyDelete