Friday, June 19, 2020

The Mystery of the Disappearing Keys

     I did not realize until I retired how many keys I had.

     As a priest, I had one key for the outer door of the offices, one for the inner door, one for my office, two or three keys for the church, plus a credit-card-sized electronic key that worked on some doors but not all.  I had the same heavy bundle of keys when I taught 6th Grade for thirty years.  Even before I began my teaching career, I always had a big bundle of keys in all of the minimum-wage jobs — jobs I appreciated because they paid the bills.  I remember even in high school I had a key for my car and another one for the trunk (Remember when those were two separate keys?) plus keys for my parent's house.

     It seems, however, I have arrived at a time in my life where I have only two keys on my ring:  My house key, and my mom's house key.  Even my mom's house key is going away soon since she is selling her house to stay in assisted living.  I no longer even have a car key because that is just a fob now on newer cars.  I do have a few more keys such as the one hanging in the hall for the back gate, but I rarely use it.  It is not worth carrying it on my key ring.

     I have begun to wonder if this mystery of the disappearing keys is a metaphor for what happens as you get older.

     There was a time when John the Baptist was all the rage in Jerusalem and its suburbs.  He was on Instagram, he was on Twitter, he was an influencer.  People were coming from everywhere to listen to that young firebrand preach and get baptized by him.

     But then there came a time when his cousin Jesus got a lot more popular.  And that really bugged John's disciples.  In the Gospel of John, chapter 3, they come to him complaining about this.  They say, "Hey, you baptized this guy, and now he's stealing all your thunder!  He's trending on everything!"

John heard them out, but then he replied with one of the most humble things recorded in Scripture.  He softly said, "He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30)

     His gentle response has always fascinated me.  It has always felt like the entire Christian life could be captured in these seven short words: "He must increase, but I must decrease."

     In one way, it felt kind of sad after I turned in all my Church keys.  Here I was, shrinking before my very eyes. There was a feeling of quiet panic at first.  Who was I if I didn't have all those keys and what they represent?  But in another way I have to admit, it was a kind of a relief.  I'm glad not to have to pack around so many keys.  I don't need that huge bundle in my right-hand pocket anymore that jabs me if I bump into a door jamb.  With so many keys, pens, ChapStick, contact lens drops, and a black leather billfold in my right-hand pocket, when I sat down, it would often trigger the alarm on my car or the trunk opener.  It got really irritating to have someone stop into my office a few times a day to say, "Did you know your trunk is open?"  I don't want to be the one who is responsible for opening doors for everyone else anymore.  If you are the guy with all the keys, you have to do things like show up on time and be responsible.  Everyone has expectations of you.  It feels kind of good to let those expectations go and just be myself.  I have had a huge key ring probably since I was around sixteen, but somehow, I just do not feel the need to carry such a burden anymore after forty-six years.

     In The Lord of the Rings, when Galadriel is offered the keys… I mean the ring of great power that she knew would eventually destroy who she was, she finds the inner strength to refuse it and says, "I pass the test. I will diminish and go into the West and remain Galadriel."

     Now, I am certainly not comparing a lifetime of gainful employment to the "One Ring to Rule Them All," but there is something to be said for knowing when it is time to bow out.  There is a grace in letting go.  There is a grace in diminishing.  There are always relationships and jobs from which you have to move on.  On my journey, I think I have learned that an important part of wisdom in life is the grace with which we let go of things.  It has also been my experience that whenever it is time to step away from one thing, it makes room for someone else to step up.

     Although I was a very good teacher and loved it more than I can say, I learned long ago there were many, many good teachers who were nothing like me.  In fact, at my school, if I had not chosen to take early retirement, a new teacher who had great promise would have been laid off.

     I will always be an Episcopal priest, but stepping away from my position at the Cathedral will give others a chance to minister, and I believe she or he will do as well or better than I.  Trinity Cathedral is set on the banks of the Truckee River.  I have always said, "There were good people worshiping beside this river long before I came, and there will be good people worshiping beside this river long after I am gone."  It may sound a little morbid, but it has always given me great comfort that I am not responsible for the whole world or the future, but only my small portion of it.  I'm just not that important in the grand sweep of things.

     Stepping away also has opened new doors for me.  I'm a cellist.  Two years ago, I began working on the Prelude of the Bach Cello Suite in D minor, a piece that is so exquisite I am convinced when it is played by a true master, like Jacqueline du Pré, the angels weep.  Although I had certainly learned all of the basics of the piece more than a year ago, I just could not get the piece to flow.  The reality was, I did not have enough time to practice.  Within just a few weeks of retirement, however, I am satisfied enough with my proficiency that I can set it aside for now and move on to another piece.  (You never finish learning Bach.  I will be working on it at least for the next ten years to bring it to performance level.)

     I have gotten to work on writing that is not under a deadline.  My reading has expanded.  I am able to read books that have nothing to do with a class I must prepare to teach or a retreat I will run.

     And so, I have decided it is okay to diminish.  It is okay for me to decrease.  In fact, it seems to be the natural culmination of the Christian life.  Although it may seem counterintuitive, more and more, it seems the disappearing keys have actually opened new doors for me.

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound to me as if you are either diminishing or decreasing. Quite the opposite in fact.
    Perhaps your physical keys are simply being replaced by metaphysical ones.
    Anyone tackling Bach at your age is increasing by leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete

     Your comments are welcome. I've had to add a word verification step to the comment process to screen out spam. I apologize for the inconvenience.